There are fees associated with obtaining these records. Please see the FAQ section below for the associated costs.Visit our Gainesville office: Florida Birth and Death Certificates
The Florida Department of Health in Alachua County
224 SE 24th Street
Gainesville, FL 32641
Phone number: (352) 334-7970
We are open from 8:00am to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday
Currently, our office can only provide Death Certificates for deaths that occurred in the State of Florida from 2009 to the present. Due to the recent upgrade to electronic death records, it may be possible to request a death certificate that occured anywhere in the State of Florida from 2009 to the present. Please call 352-334-7970 for verification.
Obtaining a Death Certificate
Who can obtain a certified copy of a Death Certificate?
- Without the cause of death listed:
- Anyone may request a copy of a Death Certificate without the cause of death showing on the certificate
- With the cause of death listed:
- To obtain a copy of a Death Certificate with the cause of death showing on the certificate, you have to be a member of the immediate family. This includes a spouse or parent, child, grandchild, or sibling if of legal age; or
- Beneficiary of a deceased person's life insurance policy (must provide documentation); or
- Estate administrator (must provide documentation).
What Information is needed for Death Certificates?
- To request a certificate with cause of death, a valid form of photo identification such as a driver’s license, State ID issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, passport or military ID. For mailed requests, please provide enlarged, lightened, readable photocopies.
- A completed Death Certificate Request Form
- You will also need to provide the person's:
- Full name
- Date of death
- County of death
How soon can I expect a copy?
Your request will be processed the same day it is received from you by mail.
Your request will be processed immediately if you come to our office in person.
What is the cost?
Death Certificates are $10.00 for each certified copy.
- We accept cash (walk-in only), checks (walk-in only), money orders and credit cards. DO NOT SEND CASH OR PERSONAL CHECKS BY MAIL.
- If mailing payment, please provide an enlarged, lightened, and readable photocopy of both your photo ID and credit card.