Florida Department of Health - Bureau of HIV/AIDS
To understand the magnitude that HIV/AIDS has had on Floridians, take a look at some quick facts:
- Florida ranks third in the nation in the number of AIDS cases
- At the end of 2008, 92,738 adults in Florida were living with HIV/AIDS
- Blacks comprise 15% of Florida’s adult population, but represent over half (53%) of the 4,944 AIDS cases and 45% of the 7,503 HIV cases reported in 2008
- At least 1 in 68 black women in Florida are living with HIV/AIDS.
- At least 1 in 44 black men in Florida are living with HIV/AIDS.
- Among adolescent females aged 13-19 who are living with HIV/AIDS, 75% of the 3,571 reported cases are among blacks.
- For 16 consecutive years, HIV/AIDS has been the leading cause of death for black females between the ages 25-44, and is currently the third leading cause of death for black males ages 25-44.
- At least 1 in 22 men who have sex with men (MSM) are living with HIV/AIDS
- MSM account for 44% (46,045) of all 105,500 AIDS cases and 41% (14,672) of all 36, 127 HIV cases reported through 2006.
- Whereas 1 in 29 white MSM are living with HIV/AIDS, 1 in 12 black MSM in Florida are living with HIV/AIDS.
Get connected to other resources and sponsorships by visiting http://www.wemakethechange.com